SAFE SEND MESSENGER HELP
Safe Send uses the same encryption keys that are created when you use the email portion of the app.
Therefore, in order for Safe Send to work with your contact(s):
1. Both you and your contact must install the Complok Mobile Email app
2. Each of you must have an active File Share subscription in force, setup in the Email app
3. Each of you must send an encrypted email to each other – This means contact to you AND you to contact
4. Keep track of email account addresses used for this (important if either of you have multiple email account addresses)
After these steps, the encryption keys necessary for your emails have been properly created and are ready for Safe Send.
To run Safe Send, while in Complok Email, go to Settings and Options, and choose Safe Send.
ADD A CONTACT
Click the 3 dots, upper-right, and select Add Contact to show the following screens:
Each contact requires 4 items:
1. Contact Name
Example: Mike, John, Lawyer Joe
2. Contact Phone
This number must be the exact same number you use in your regular SMS messaging for this contact.
Must be 10 digits minimum and not have any commas, periods, dashes, parentheses.
3. Contact Email Address
Select the contact email address you used to send the encrypted email to this contact using the Complok Email app
4. My Email Address
Tap and select the email address you used to send an encrypted email to this contact using Complok Email app
If you have multiple email accounts, be sure and select the one you used with this contact – This is very important
After these 4 items are complete, tap the Add Contact button.
You will then be taken back to the main window and can see your new contact in the tab list. You can now send encrypted messages back and forth with this contact if your contact has added you in the same manner.
Mark and Sally wish to communicate with both encrypted emails and text messaging.
They have each obtained a File Share Management subscription.
Step 1: Send each other encrypted mail using the mobile Complok Email app. This means that Mark must send Sally an encrypted email AND Sally must send Mark an encrypted email. This creates the encryption keys on both phones.
Step 2: In Mark’s SafeSend app, contact add:
- Contact name: Sally
- Contact phone: 8883213456
- Contact email address, choose: email@example.com
- My email address, choose: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: In Sally’s SafeSend app, contact add:
- Contact name: Mark
- Contact phone: 5551234467
- Contact email address, choose: email@example.com
- My email address, choose: firstname.lastname@example.org
Example: Special Situation – Same email address for both you and the contact
This scenario would probably occur for a husband and wife. Remember, both the husband and wife must send an encrypted email to each other in order to create the encryption keys on each phone.
Husband: John, phone: 213-345-6678
Wife: Mary, phone: 213-345-4453
They have 1 email account between them: email@example.com
Husband, on his phone, in Add Contact
Name: Mary, Phone: 2133453353, Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org, My address: email@example.com
Wife, on her phone, in Add Contact
Name: John, Phone: 2133456678, Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org, My address: email@example.com
Multiple My Addresses
If you have multiple accounts, then this notice alert will appear. Just make sure you choose the account that was used during the encrypted Email exchange with your contact.
Go to the 3 dots and select Manage Contacts to show the options screen.
Choose this option to open the Edit Contact screen.
Editable items are:
- Phone number
- Contact’s email address
- My email address
Choose this option to remove a contact from the messenger
EDIT MY PHONE NUMBER
Go to the 3 dots and select Edit My Phone to open this screen.
Use this screen and function to change your phone number in Safe Send.
When a contact sends you an encrypted message on Complok Safe Send, your phone number is used so that you receive a regular SMS alert to a new available message to download and decrypt. Part of your phone number is also used to identify messages directed to you.
If you change your phone number for whatever reason, be sure your contacts, all of them, change your information in their files also. They would go to Settings > Manage Contacts > Edit > select you > change the phone number
Go to the 3 dots and select Settings to open the screen, SMS Notify Settings
Contact SMS Notify Button
Toggle on/off to set the conversation window button’s default text as:
Contact SMS Notify: Yes
Contact SMS Notify: No
When you send a message to a contact, if the button is in the Yes mode, then your default SMS app will appear and allow you to send your contact a regular SMS message, notifying that they have a new Complok Safe Send message.
The message to send is: New Safe Send Message
When your SMS opens up, you can change if desired
Why do we not use your phone’s regular SMS system for our encrypted messages?
1. SMS allows only about 150 characters. Our encrypted messages are typically longer than 2,000 – Even if just a single word!
2. Safe Send messages bypass the SMS companies, so you don’t have to be concerned about a SMS company retaining your stuff
3. Safe Send is not ‘hot connected’ like a regular SMS app is, so you need to open it to see if you have any pending messages
4. On reading a Safe Send message, the server file is immediately and permanently deleted without any copies anywhere
On opening, your added contacts will be shown in the listing.
The left column will highlight the Initial of the contact, but will show a number if there are pending messages on the server.
Also, any contact with pending messages will have their name colored BLUE (as seen below for Abel Prior).
Mode Toggle Button
At the bottom of the screen is a toggle button:
Tap Mode – Get Conversation: Tap a contact takes you to your conversations with that contact
Tap Mode – Contact Info: Tap a contact to view your full contact setup information
Auto-Notify New Message Alert
When this screen is open, when a new message arrives on the server for any of your contacts, an alert sound will be heard, the name will color blue (if not already), and the circle ID will contain the number of pending messages.
To create a new message:
Tap in the ‘Enter Message’ box area, type a message, then tap the Send Arrow
In this screen the server is automatically checked for any new messages, and if so, are downloaded, decrypted, and shown with a little alert blip sound
Tap the Delete icon at the top to change screen to delete mode
Tap to select message(s) to delete (they turn yellow)
Note: Tap ALL to select / deselect all
When a contact sends you a message and their Contact SMS Notify Button text is: Contact SMS Notify: Yes, then you will get a message on your regular SMS messenger. This alerts you to open up Complok Safe Send and get your message.
Once open, Complok will automatically get any more messages for you.
Just a bit of review here.
For our special encrypted messenger to work, we cannot use regular SMS channels for several reasons:
- SMS companies store messages forever
- Regular SMS messages may be encrypted along the way at times, but at the SMS company, probably not
- Regular SMS messages can probably be hacked, diverted, copied, and changed
- Our encrypted messages, even for a single word, are several thousand characters long (SMS cannot handle this)
- We want all messages to be deleted on the bridging cloud server upon all reading downloads
- Yep, as little slower, but so what – Security is paramount
Here ya go: Chinese spies stealing text messages here